Wednesday, November 6, 2013

I'M SICK OF PRETENDING: I DON'T "GET" ART

Update 13. September 2016:
Referring back to this blog, I discovered a bunch of broken links and missing images. I will try to fix as much as I can - just wishing that when I link to something, "THEY" don't change the url.

Feast your eyes on this masterpiece!
artwork by Tracey Emin




According to the exhibition guide, this piece is one of a number of small pieces that "can easily be missed or walked past – but you have to read them, give them time." I think perhaps I need a little more time to read this one.
words by Glen Coco in Vice Magazine
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Some time ago I had passed on this excellent article from Times Higher Education by Tom Ellard called

Successor states to an empire in free fall

I posted this as a discussion item in our private network for Visionary Art (the public showcase from this network is the VISIONARY ART GALLERY).
I now think that perhaps this proclamation was somewhat premature:

Postmodernism is dead. Wail and rend your clothes. Postmodernism is dead.
The tyrant is vanquished!

One discussion item added was this blog:

Five reasons why I’m not an ‘artist’

After finding this article that is the subject of my blog now, I added the link to the discussion item, but feel it needs wider distribution - this is what I wrote:
"I am digging this one up once again because in spite of all the hopes and prayers that things would get better, the insanity is hitting EPIC proportions."

I found this via a link on facebook, and every word of it at one time or another I had thought as well as spoken out loud:

I'M SICK OF PRETENDING: I DON'T "GET" ART

These are the first few lines of the article by  Glen Coco on the Vice website :
You know what? I'm sick of pretending. I went to art school, wrote a dissertation called "The Elevation of Art Through Commerce: An Analysis of Charles Saatchi's Approach to the Machinery of Art Production Using Pierre Bourdieu's Theories of Distinction", have attended art openings at least once a month for the last five years, even fucking purchased pieces of it, but the other night, after attending the opening of the new Tracey Emin retrospective at the Hayward Gallery, I'm finally ready to come out and say it: I just don't think I "get" art. [Although, after this article was written, I did try to get an art student to explain it to me.]
read more HERE
Are you fucking kidding me? Just in case you can't tell from the picture, this is a photo of Tracey rubbing money against her vagina.

my favorite line is:
"Sometimes I wish I possessed the requisite attention span to absorb endless amounts of totally pointless bullshit."
 Do read the whole article by Glen Coco - highly recommended!

Last month I blogged about a related issue, check it out:
About "Modern Art" and its excesses - a discussion on my facebook page

So yeah, here is me again with my own two cents worth: WHEN WILL THIS INSANITY END?

UPDATE 11/7/2013 
A facebook friend and artist posted this as his status: 
If I rammed a screwdriver into someone's skull, and called it "brain surgery", does that make it so? If, because I SAY something is "art", does that make it so?
One of the comments:
Art becomes art when it reaches its goal, being the object of debate. If it arouses feelings and thoughts, even negative ones....you don't have to like it, but you transformed it (the turd) into art by not being indifferent to it. If there were no debate, there would be no art...

My comment to this:
"Art becomes art when it reaches its goal .......". OK, so basically a screwdriver jammed into the scull becomes brain surgery BECAUSE IT REACHED ITS GOAL - mind you, the patient died..... - "you don't have to like it" - ROLFL - I love it when people repeat those tired old "artspeak" phrases to justify the garbage delivery truck at the gallery receiving dock!

This entire discussion would have been worth following - unfortunately the link to the facebook tread by Steven DaLuz that I originally had in this space here (post 11/7/2013) does no longer work - he must have deleted it.

*

" Art made its final flight, climbed higher and higher in an ever-decreasing tighter-turning spiral until… it disappeared up its own fundamental aperture… and came out the other side as Art Theory!… Art Theory pure and simple, words on a page, literature undefiled by vision… late twentieth-century Modern Art was about to fulfill its destiny, which was: to become nothing less than Literature pure and simple"

*
Visit us at the Visionary Art Gallery
VA BANNER

*