Saturday, January 3, 2009

Do's and Don'ts for Sharing Electronic Images

A  good guide for Artists that submit electronic (digital) images to competitions, on-line galleries etc. - in this space I had a link that no longer exists. The important part of the text I copied below with my own comment. The updated link that still works is here: 

 
Protect yourself against copyright violations by submitting web-ready low resolution images that still look good on the web, but not very useful for printing. Although the guide recommends a maximum size of 1024 x 768 pixels at maximum 500 kb resolution, I have found that some of my larger images on my web site display very well with much clarity at less than 200 kb. At that size and resolution, they do not yield satisfactory prints.
At 423 x 600 pixels and 80 kb, the image below from my web site illustrates this point:


BOGOMIL'S CEREMONIAL STAGE:
CASPAR AND HIS PROPS

Acrylic on Canvas 14” x 10” 1983
Note: the old website does not exist anymore - any links to it redirect to my new site here:
ART OF THE MYSTIC OTTO RAPP
Larger images could be protected with a watermark. Some Artists don't like to do that, since often it appears way too intrusive.





No comments: